ISOLATEK® Type HP HP is a medium density Dry Mix Spray-Applied Fire Resistive Material (SFRM) designed to provide superior fire protection for structural steel where limited physical abuse or traffic may be anticipated.
It is an inorganic, environmentally friendly, Portland-cement-based formulation that provides superior fire resistance for structural steel and concrete in commercial construction environments.
This is the product of choice particularly when exposure to severe weather conditions during the construction phase is necessary, or when application efficiency along with excellent thermal and acoustical insulation properties are desired.
ISOLATEK Type HP is the only medium density product that is classified as “investigated for exterior use” by Underwriters Laboratories, thus allowing it to remain exposed to extreme weather conditions during the construction process.
- Part of the most widely specified Dry Spray family throughout the world for over forty years.
- Meets or exceeds all major fire protection specifications for Commercial structures including ANSI/ UL 263, ASTM E119, and CAN/ ULC-S101.
- Provides up to 4 hour fire resistance ratings.
- Exceptionally high recycled content (56% pre-consumer) and other environmentally friendly characteristics provide significant LEED credits.
- Inorganic material formulation does not promote mold or fungal growth.
- Portland cement-based formulation makes it suitable to remain exposed to a variety of extreme weather environments during construction, providing exceptional flexibility to sequencing and scheduling of projects.
- Low pressure, pneumatic spray application equipment requires less manpower to operate.
- High thermal and acoustical properties provide thermal insulation and acoustical control capabilities.
- Worldwide manufacturing facilities ensure timely product availability.
Applied directly to decking, steel beams, columns or concrete surfaces for concealed commercial environments which may be exposed for prolonged periods of time during the construction cycle.
Ideal for use in mechanical rooms, parking garages, elevator shafts, pool areas, and any other area where increased durability is required.
Fire Tests & Approvals
In order to meet the performance and durability criteria set forth by the American Institute of Architects (AIA) and other major industry specifying organizations, ISOLATEK® Type HP has undergone the most rigorous testing in accordance with the world’s most demanding safety protocols.
- Cellulosic – ANSI/UL263 (ASTM E119)
- UL Classification Mark
- Factory Mutual
- New York City Materials and Equipment Acceptance (MEA)
- Evaluation Service Report
- Major Specification and Approval Compliance
Cellulosic – ANSI/UL263 (ASTM E119) – Fire Tests of Building Construction and Materials
This cellulosic fire test is traditionally used to evaluate materials for use in the protection of modern day commercial structures. This test reaches 537°C (1000°F) after 5 minutes and gradually reaches a temperature of 1093°C (2000°F) after a period of up to 4 hours.
ISOLATEK Type HP is classified by Underwriters Laboratories for up to 4 hours protection in accordance with the cellulosic fire test and is listed within various UL Designs.
UL Classification Mark
The UL Classification Mark indicates compliance with global requirements as it relates to a specific risk or casualty. With the Classification service, UL determines that a manufacturer has demonstrated the ability to produce a product complying with UL’s requirements with respect to one or more of the following:
- Specific risk, e.g., casualty, fire, etc.
- Performance under specific conditions
- Compliance with regulatory codes
- Compliance with specific standards such as international standards
- Other condition, as determined by UL
All of the products carrying a UL Classification Mark are covered by UL’s Follow-Up Services program to verify that products carrying the UL Classification Mark continue to be manufactured in compliance with UL’s safety requirements.
New York City Materials and Equipment Acceptance (MEA)
An MEA Number is the number assigned to a product that has been approved for use in New York City by the MEA Division. ISOLATEK Type HP (CAFCO BLAZE-SHIELD HP in the Americas) has been reviewed and MEA numbers have been assigned.
The MEA division regulates “certain materials and equipment (that) require Department of Buildings acceptance.” These manufactured items affect public safety, health and welfare (including structural stability and fire safety) and are usually a permanent part of a building.
Major Specification and Approval Compliance
ISOLATEK Type HP complies with the requirements of the following specifications:
- MasterSpec®, Section 078100 APPLIED FIREPROOFING (AIA)
- MasterFormat® 2014, Section 07 81 00 Applied Fireproofing (CSC,CSI)
- Unified Facilities Guide Specification, UFGS 07 81 00 Spray-Applied Fireproofing (USACE, NAVFAC, AFCEC, NASA)
- Master Construction Specifications, Number 07 80 10 Applied Fireproofing (VA)
- Code of Federal Regulations, Title 40 Protection of the Environment (EPA)
- PBS-P100 Facilities Standards for the Public Buildings Services (GSA)
|ASTM Physical Performance Standards||Test Performance*
Spray-Applied Fire Resistive Materials (SFRM’s)
|Physical Property||ASTM Standard||Industry Performance Requirements||ISOLATEK® Type HP|
|Surface Burning Characteristics||ASTM E84||Flame Spread: 10 or less
Smoke Developed: 0
|Density||ASTM E605||352 kg/m3 (Min 22 pcf)||384 – 416 kg/m3 (24-26 pcf)|
|Cohesion / Adhesion (Bond Strength)||ASTM E736||20.8 kPa (434 psf)||73 kPa (1,525 psf)|
|Deflection||ASTM E759||No cracks, spalling, or delamination||No cracks, spalling, or delamination|
|Bond Impact||ASTM E760||No cracks, spalling, or delamination||No cracks, spalling, or delamination|
|Compressive Strength||ASTM E761||351 kPa (7,344 psf)||379.2 kPa (7,920 psf)|
|Corrosion||ASTM E937||Does not promote corrosion of steel||Does not promote corrosion of steel|
|Air Erosion||ASTM E859||0.025 g/ft.2||0.000 g/m2 (0.000 g/ft.2)|
|Fungal Resistance||ASTM G21||Zero Growth After 28 days||Zero Growth After 28 days|
|Sound Absorption||ASTM C423||0.85 NRC 13 mm (1/2″) on deck and beam|
|Thermal Properties||ASTM C518||Conductivity[k] – 0.059 W/m•K @ 24oC
(0.41 BTU in/hr ft2 oF @ 75oF)Resistance [R/inch]-2.43
*Based on independent laboratory tests under controlled conditions.